Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Old friends …


I think I'll make the stories and pictures of Sunset Park a blog series. We lived below and above and around the park for my entire childhood, my teen years and a good part of my adult life. The neighborhoods around the park have changed, different groups settling in, other groups leaving. The big pool was originally a lake.

So much of the old ways are gone. Yet thanks to people like Peter Allen, Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis and other brave souls, some of our landmarks will remain. We will continue to enjoy the spectacle of The Radio City Music Hall and the splendor of Grand Central Station.

I watched in horror the day the wrecking ball took its first hit on the old Metroplitan Opera building in mid-town.

Time it was
and what a time it was,
A time of innocence,
A time of confidences,
Long ago it must be,
I have a photograph,
Preserve your memories,
There all thats left you...
Paul Simon
If you are lucky, you can dig through your mother's, grandmother's or some other older relative's trunk, find a shoe box tied with faded ribbon and you can find some of the past.
fOIS

No comments:

Post a Comment