Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't get fresh with me girlie …

Sometimes I wonder
whether the world
is being run
by smart people
who are putting us on
or by imbeciles
who really mean it.
Mark Twain
There is that four letter
word
we dare not utter
in mixed company

mutter to yourself
remember self-control
when
faced with traffic jams
long lines in supermarkets

doors slamming
in your face …

don't lose control
fall victim to
poverty of language
hold the phone
listen to canned music
get transferred for the third time
wait fifteen minutes
the person on the other end
can't get past
pronouncing your name

no politically incorrect adjectives
for the cute customer service rep
speaking to you from beautiful
downtown Mumbai

there are worst things
in the world
the four letter word
pales
by comparison

To the dreaded
three letter word ... old?
Watch your tongue, young lady!

Ah, the injustice
to find me
a post menopausal
fired up old teenager
what it was like
to be ... young?

Does she smile back
from the old photo album?

I see her
each morning
looking back at me
and bark, “Who the hell are you
and what are you doing
in my bathroom mirror?”

She snaps, "Get over it !"

I am Mad you know
mad as a hatter or a dog
or a woman
gone past 30 something
past “middle age”
damn
gone past menopause


Stressing at the edge ...
fOIS

No comments:

Post a Comment